Thursday, January 15, 2009

January 16th

 


Ben!

My Dad gave this large stuffed toy to Finn who was 2, the Christmas before he died.

He had a minor heart attack after a hip operation just before Christmas but made a good recovery, The week before he died he had been through a barrage of tests by his doctor who told him his heart was fine.

He suffered a myocardial infarction while watching the final of the Americas Cup yacht race in 1995, which New Zealand went on to win, he was only 60. In the early 1970's, when he could get me away from my pony, I used to sail with him in Frostbites (a small NZ two person dinghy). We won a few trophies in local events.

Almost ten years later it was my turn to coach him when he took up riding and competed at shows and on the hunt field for a few years. During this time he split up with my mother, although they remained friends.

I still miss him and would have loved him to have known my second husband, they would have got on so well.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Although you haven't updated Worth yet, I wondered if you had posted your image for today when I saw you were catching up on your comments (thanks for that by the way. VERY much appreciated.)

    That's sad about your Dad :-(
    It's reminders like this which should remind us all to cherish what we have and make the most of life now.

    The teddy is gorgeous. So fluffy, snuggly and cuddly. And I see your grass needs mowing - just like mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andromeda5000 for all your comments.

    I am still so far behind on everyone's themes, but am enjoying catching up in my spare time...

    I hope your lawn isn't this long, the daisies behind him are almost two foot high, they are growing on the edge of the lawn and Ben is almost a foot tall, he looks smaller in this photo - Our lawn does need cutting though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cute photo with a very poignant story attached. It's stories like this that make me even more determined to complete my family portrait challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely picture of a cute looking toy.
    I lost my dad a couple of years ago, so I feel your pain. I treasure everything I have that reminds me of him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have lost my father and know the loss you feel. The bear is adorable and the little flowers add whimsy to your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just loved reading the story behind this bear, thanks for sharing it with us all.
    Ben must be so special to you, he looks so fuzzy and warm plus so sweet sitting among the tiny daisies.
    A lovely reminder of your Father, and a lovely photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a special bear! He looks brand new - well cared for. Lovely story.

    ReplyDelete